Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Christopher Columbus?

My friend Amy, who I made the first apron for emailed me about making a costume. Her son, Ashton had a school project coming up and he needed to be Christopher Columbus. 

Ashton aka Christopher Columbus 




I tried looking for a pattern to help me out with this new challenge but no such luck. So after I took Ashton's measurements, I was on my own.  


Sewing the front to the back of the jacket.


I found a few basic patterns that I based the jacket on but since my printer can't print bigger than regular paper, I still had to free hand the cuts. That was very nerve racking lol.



Chalking out the sleeves.



Making the sleeves was particularly hard. After I cut the fabric, of course I realize the cut should have been on the fold to make a mirror of the shoulder curve. Also I thought the sleeve would be too tight so I added a strip of fabric to the main sleeve.


Making the shoulder curve. 


Cutting


Sleeves attached and pinning on the collar.


I want the collar to be simple like I had seen in the pictures of Mr. Columbus. When I started pinning the collar I thought it might be to Mandarin. I decided to top stich the lapel over the collar to keep it more European.

Collar mock up.



Finished collar and lapels.


Before a good pressing.

Top stich 

After trimming the sleeves to the correct length, I liked the idea of a cuff. 


Pressed cuffs

For the pants I use a pair of my boyfriend jeans as a pattern. After the first fitting, I sewed in some elastic to take in the waist and keep them on. No buttons needed lol. Before hemming the bottom of the leg I added some lace and elastic to make them look puffy.


See puffy lol


Amy made the awesome hat to complete the look.


I just sewed stripes of fabric to a t shirt for under the jacket.



As new and changeling as this project was, I learn so much about free hand pattern making and my own sewing ability. I'm glad it turn out pretty cool:)





No comments:

Post a Comment